Our greatest resource is our people, and Smithbucklin values the powerful ideas that result from embracing people’s differences. We understand that diverse backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives are the key to a vibrant and engaging culture and service excellence.
We have long sought opportunities to expand our mindset around diversity, equity, and inclusion. But we aspire to more. From our most seasoned leaders to our newest team members, we continually strive to provide an affirming and safe space to work and grow together.
inCouncil Champions Our Inclusive Culture
Cultivating a mindset of diversity, equity, and inclusion is an infinite process. That’s why, in 2016, we began establishing programs and committees to take a self- critical and self-accountable approach to continuous improvement. The Smithbucklin inCouncil advisory group, for example, is composed of visible leaders who are passionate about progress and accountability toward achieving a culture of inclusion.
The work of the inCouncil is guided by the following strategic goals:
- Fostering an inclusive workplace
- Building inclusive teams
- Recruiting diverse talent
- Achieving client diversity and inclusion goals
iBoosting Success with a Journey Map
Many Smithbucklin association management clients shared their need for guidance and structure around DEI efforts, and as a result, Smithbucklin developed a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Journey Map to support DEI-related strategies, initiatives, and conversations.
This suite of resources will help associations:
- Understand what is meant by diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Assess and understand the current state of your organization related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Gain insight into a future desired state, and understand the steps to reach it.
- Gain support for embarking upon or continuing the diversity, equity, and inclusion journey.
- Facilitate diversity, equity, and inclusion conversations within and among teams and volunteer leadership.
- Develop a diversity, equity, and inclusion-related strategy and goals for your organization.
- Communicate the value of diversity, equity, and inclusion work and progress.
- Establish benchmarks, and track results and effectiveness.
- Define ways to recognize and reward forward momentum and positive outcomes.
Additionally, we subscribe to and encourage our clients to participate in the American Society of Association Executives (ASAE) Inclusion Index. This tool is an evidence-based assessment of an association’s “diversity and inclusion practices and objectives against validated effective practices.” The online tool consists of 74 questions regarding five key diversity, equity, and inclusion performance domains identified by ASAE.
Smithbucklin’s Statement of Inclusion
At Smithbucklin, we value all of our differences – race, gender, sexual orientation, age, ethnicity, religion, ability, culture, identity, thought, style, and experience Our people are our greatest resource. We believe our diverse backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives are necessary to sustain a vibrant and engaging culture and work environment, and to deliver service excellence and value to our clients.
Smithbucklin is committed to building teams where people feel included, and to integrating the needs of a multidimensional workforce into all that we do.We recognize and celebrate each person’s individuality, and work to provide equitable access, opportunity and advancement for all our people.